Monday, July 23, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Muffins


I’ve always been a sucker for banana bread, but since I started losing weight, I knew I couldn’t eat it anymore unless I found a healthy version.

My mom and I searched through the Weight Watchers website and found a recipe for a healthier banana bread… It was nasty! It was really dry and not sweet at all. I was so disappointed! I kind of gave up on looking for a healthy recipe because I figured every recipe would be similar to the WW one.

This morning I was browsing through Pinterest (good ol’ Pinterest!!) and saw a recipe for banana muffins. Interestingly, the recipe didn’t use flour, but oats instead. It seemed like a simple recipe, so I decided to give it a shot.

Holy Moley. They are DELICIOUS! The only change I would make would be to use overripe bananas next time. I used some that just had a few brown spots on them. Next time, I think I’ll wait till they’re overripe so that the flavor will be a little stronger.

For the original recipe that I found on Pinterest, click here. Below is the same recipe, but with my own tips.

Enjoy!!


Banana Oatmeal Muffins



Ingredients:
2 ½ cup oats (old-fashioned kind, not instant)

6 oz low-fat plain Greek yogurt (1 single serving container)

2 eggs

¾ cup sweetener of choice (we used xylitol)

1 ½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

2 bananas


Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
(Do not use paper liners with these muffins. Since there is no flour in the batter, the paper liners will stick to the muffins after baking. I just used a non-stick spray on the pan and the muffins came out beautifully.)

2. Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until oats are smooth. 
Tip: Put yogurt, eggs, and bananas in the blender first, then add the dry ingredients. Our blender had a hard time because I dumped the oats in first, so it couldn’t really blend everything. The blade just kept spinning. I had to dump all the ingredients out, mix it up, then put it back in the blender. Lesson learned!

3. Pour batter into muffin pan and bake for about 16-18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. I baked them for 18 minutes and they seemed almost a little too done. Every oven is different, so try starting with 16 minutes or so and then work your way up. Better to add more time than burn them!

No comments:

Post a Comment